Rules and Regulations
Each district is to designate one Adult Commissioner for each league.
Each District Commissioner must submit to OYYAFM, completed rosters by April 1st.
All rosters are frozen as of April 15th.
D. Game Rules
All games are to be played under the current PIAA Softball Rules, except where amended by Diocesan or local rules.
E. Playing Time
- Only players that meet all eligibility requirements, both team-specific (such as required attendance at practices) and diocesan, may be allowed to play in any game.
- Teams must place every player on the roster and in attendance in the batting line-up.
- It is required that each player plays 2 innings in the field every game, including playoffs. There may be unlimited substitutions.
- A pitcher removed from the pitching position may pitch again provided that at least one batter has been put out or reached base, or a third out has been made. Other pitching regulations still apply.
- Infractions of the playing time policy will result in a warning for the 1st offense:
- If witnessed by a designated representative of CYO, a warning will consist of a verbal address to the coach following the game in question.
- If the 1st offense is not witnessed by a designated representative of CYO, an investigation will be conducted. If it is found to be a valid offense, a warning will consist of a verbal address to the coach via a phone call. After the coach has received the warning, any subsequent verifiable offense of the playing time policy will result in a forfeit of the game and suspension of the coach.
- A 2nd verifiable offense of the playing time policy in the same season (including playoffs) will result in a forfeit of the game for the team, two game suspension of the coach, and the coach will need to meet with the District Commissioner and a diocesan CYO Administrative Official before coaching in the subsequent year.
- Any coach suspended from coaching a team is not eligible to be present as a fan for that CYO event.
See Eligibility Rules.
Practice may not begin before March 15. All practices, games, etc. must end the third weekend in June.
H. Special Game Rules
The home team will provide the official scorer. The visiting team must verify the score at the end of each inning. Any unsportsmanlike behavior of a player, such as the violent throwing of a helmet or bat or deliberately trying to injure an opponent will result in the offender being removed from the game.
Diocesan CYO Softball Rules
PIAA Rules will be followed with the following exceptions:
A. Base Coaches – A team member or rostered adult.
B. There shall be 10 fielding players. No designated hitter or extra hitter allowed.
C. A pitcher who hits 3 batters in one inning or 5 batters in one game will be removed from the game as a pitcher.
D. A batter, who in the opinion of the umpire, deliberately attempts to be hit by a pitch, shall be declared out.
E. Pitching distance -40 feet.
F. PIAA uniform code will not be enforced, but players on the same team should have the same color shirt and have numbers prominently displayed.