St. John Vianney Regional School
Job Title: Teaching Assistant FLSA: Exempt
Job Status: Part-time, 29 hours/week; school year only
Reporting Functions: Reports to Aquinas Lead Teacher
Job Function: Assist the teacher with the total classroom educational program and assure a quality instructional program. This includes acting as a liaison between parents and the teacher and supervising classroom activity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the lead teacher, assist students in performing activities/lessons and provide special help to students on specific skills when needed. Provides direct instruction through special education curricular materials and develops students’ Individualized Plans.
- Preparation of instructional materials, supplies, copying and decorating of bulletin boards.
- Perform classroom clerical duties that include, but are not limited to, emptying and filling folders, lunch and milk counts and handing out and collecting papers.
- Escort students to and from restrooms, special classes, recess and lunch.
- Assist in the supervision of students before and after each school day. This includes during recess, lunch and dismissal.
- Communicate all parental concerns and questions about a student’s progress to the lead teacher; respect the confidentiality of all student information and refrain from discussing student information outside of the classroom.
- Attend the August In-Service and other in-service days and meetings as specified by the Principal.
- Interact with administrators, faculty and staff on a Christian and professional level. Share in the general responsibilities necessary for an effective total education program.
- Follow all policies set forth by The Diocese of Allentown and St. John Vianney Regional School..
- Any other duties as assigned by the Principal or Teacher.
- High School Diploma
- A minimum of 2 years of college or related coursework in child development
- A basic understanding and acceptance of Catholic school philosophy, goals and objectives
- Previous experience working with children
- An understanding of child development and the skills necessary to relate to the students being taught
- Initiative and the willingness to follow a teacher’s direction
- The ability to handle classroom situations with fairness and patience
- Good writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively with students and teachers
- Clear records of: Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (PATCH), Pennsylvania Child Abuse History and Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Fingerprint Check required.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand, bend, crouch, kneel, crawl and sit on the floor. Must be able to talk and hear, both in person and by telephone. Use of hands to operate standard office equipment; with occasional reaching and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Working Conditions: Normal classroom setting; hours are Hours are Monday to Friday 7:45 AM – 3:15 PM; position is expected to work a minimum of 180 days during the school year. May be required to assist with special duties and work outside the normal school day to attend school-related events.
To apply for this position, please contact Ms. Linda Borosky, St. John Vianney Regional School at firstname.lastname@example.org.