Job Title: Office Administrator, St. Charles Borromeo, Ashland, PA
Job Status: Full time
Reporting Functions: Reports to Pastor
Job Function: Provides administrative support to the daily operations of the parish. Duties include, but are not limited to, general secretarial and receptionist work, creating the weekly parish bulletin, maintaining the parish database, coordinating parish life activities, and maintaining all background check information for the employees and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- General secretarial duties including, but not limited to, answering phone calls and e-mails, filing, photocopying, sorting mail, typing letters, shredding, faxing, and greeting and assisting all visitors to the parish.
- Coordinate parish life activities and assist parish councils and committees.
- Assist with the social media presence of the parish.
- Maintain the parish appointment book. Track appointments for the pastor, diocesan appointments, meetings with parishioners, wedding, and baptismal meetings, etc.
- Separate all incoming mail and distribute accordingly, prepare all outgoing mail. Oversee all bulk mailings throughout the year (Christmas, Easter, etc.).
- Create and oversee distribution of the weekly parish bulletin. This should include the weekly Mass schedule and other appropriate announcements. Insert any necessary flyers for upcoming events. Coordinate placement advertisements from local businesses. Forward any necessary information to other churches to be placed in their bulletins.
- Help maintain sacramental books for the parish. This includes Marriage, First Holy Eucharist, Confirmation and Death information. Assist in the preparation of all certificates used by parish including proof of marriage, confirmations, baptisms, etc.
- Maintain the parish database containing information on all parishioners, update accordingly. This should include contact information, family members, sacramental records, envelope contributions, memorials, donations, offerings, and tax information. Mail out annual contribution statements.
- Maintain Mass Intention requests. Schedule intentions for each calendar year and send out confirmation letters to parishioners. Mark records appropriately.
- Assist with the scheduling of Altar Servers, Lectors and Eucharistic Ministers. Place the yearly Lector Missal order.
- Assist the Director of Religious Education (DRE) with the parish CCD program.
- Maintain an updated listing of the homebound and nursing home residents for visitation. Include names and contact information.
- Collect and report to diocesan Office of Development required census information; assist with Bishop’s Annual Appeal at parish level; assist with the preparation of the annual diocesan Spiritual report for the parish.
- Coordinate all Social Hall reservations.
- Assist with various fundraisers throughout the year. Including selling and ordering fundraising materials such as lottery tickets.
- Contact any outside vendors when needed for equipment repair (fax machine, copier, etc.); apply annually for liquor and small game licenses for parish.
- Order and maintain inventory of all supplies used by the parish rectory and social hall. This includes office supplies as well as contacting vendors for cleaning products and household supplies.
- Some Weekend and Evening Hours required due to meeting and fundraising activities.
- Any other duties assigned by the Pastor.
- High School Diploma or advanced education in related field desired but not necessary.
- Preferably at least 2 years’ experience in a secretarial setting.
- All safe environment check and/or clearances must be in place prior to employment.
- Due to the nature and mission of the Catholic Church, all employees are bound to exhibit respect for the teachings and discipline of the Church regarding matters of faith and morals.
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities:
- Exhibit professional behavior while responding to telephone calls & interacting in person.
- The ability to work independently, multi-task and demonstrate competence in all areas of responsibility. Must have excellent organizational skills.
- The ability to be confidential, dependable, and trustworthy.
- Proficiency in the use of all general business and office equipment.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Publisher and Power Point with good grammar, spelling and letter writing skills.
- The ability to maintain good working relationships with Pastor, parishioners, and co-workers.
Physical Demands: The employee is required to lift and move up to 10 pounds.
Working Conditions: Church office environment. This is a year-round, full-time position; hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 4:30PM includes ½ Hour Unpaid Lunch. May need to stay after normal hours occasionally to attend a meeting or assist during special occasions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements.
There will be a six-month probationary period, during which time, the employee performance will be evaluated, and future employment status determined.
How to Apply:
Mail or Drop-Off Resume:
St. Charles Borromeo Parish Office
1115 Walnut St.
Ashland, PA 17921