St Joseph the Worker in Orefield, PA is seeking a part-time Music Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing and training a parish choir
- Scheduling, recruiting, and training cantors
- Playing the organ for up to 3 weekend masses, holy days, school masses and other scheduled liturgies
- Planning music, particularly with a goal of integrating the Church’s rich musical tradition into our weekend liturgies (e.g. traditional, hymnody, chant etc.)
- Working office hours as agreed upon with the pastor
- Other responsibilities as agreed upon with the pastor
- Working with and providing direction for 2 contemporary ensembles
- Developing a youth music program in conjunction with the school (if interested)
- Candidate must be a practicing Catholic in good standing, have a deep knowledge of the Catholic faith, and agree to live by the tenets of the Catholic faith, including in lifestyle and on personal social media.
- Solid understanding of Catholic liturgy
- In-depth knowledge of the treasury of Catholic sacred music, including chant, polyphony, and hymnody
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in music or commensurate experience working in Catholic music ministry
- Ability to play the organ and/or piano, and to accompany the congregation from the keyboard
- Good communication skills
Salary commensurate with experience. Additional income possible from funerals and weddings.
St. Joseph the Worker Parish is a thriving suburban parish with nearly 3,000 families. The parish continues to grow as the area around the parish develops. This church is ripe with potential to grow a music program. We are seeking someone who can integrate more traditional styles of worship into our liturgical life, as well as revive and train our choir, which has been on sabbatical since the pandemic. This position is a great opportunity for someone looking to build a program in one of the most vibrant and dynamic parishes within the Diocese of Allentown.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Msgr. Victor Finelli, St. Joseph the Worker Church, 1879 Applewood Dr, Orefield, PA 18069 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org