ST. MARGARET SCHOOL: READING, PA
Job Title: School Secretary
Reporting Functions: Reports to School Principal
Job Function: Under the direction of the Principal, performs a wide variety of clerical and secretarial duties to organize school office activities; assist the Principal in routine administrative tasks; perform public relations and coordinate communication between principal, pastor, Business Manager and office manager; faculty and staff, parents, students and general public; and performs other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Place and receives telephone calls and take messages for administrators and staff.
- Provides secretarial support to the Principal and administrative staff. Formats and types correspondence, forms, memoranda and reports; duplicates materials.
- Organizes, coordinates and schedules a variety of office activities to assist the Principal with administrative tasks; prepare and accurately maintain a variety of reports, records and files relating to students, staff, operations and activities.
- Prepares, Processes documents and materials (e.g. request for field trip transportation, enrollment/withdrawal, daily attendance, report cards, home/school communication, etc.) for the purpose of disseminating information to appropriate parties.
- Communicates with public schools concerning transportation arrangements for students. Maintain bus companies informed on enrollment in each school district as needed.
- Maintain school calendar; schedules appointments, special events, staff meetings and/or conferences as needed. Update School website, including school calendar.
- Collects, organizes and maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g. students enrollment/withdrawal information emergency cards/sheets, attendance records, students record, faculty, staff, etc.) for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and audit trail.
- Register’s students; completes enrollment information; establish students records and enter into computer; complete records for release of transfer of students. Update records as needed throughout the school year.
- Maintain and update Option C school database. Add new students into system and complete reports from system as needed and requested by administrative staff. (Complete the End of the Year Wizard in Option C)
- Monitors/assists students referred for illness, discipline, etc. for the purpose of ensuring their safety and welfare. Administers first aid to sick and injured students, contact the nurse and parents.
- Requisitions, receives, stores and distributes supplies and office materials; maintains materials and equipment inventory as assigned.
- Responsible for mailing out correspondence and distributes incoming mail/circulation and provides clerical assistance to faculty and staff as needed.
- Operates office equipment such as fax machine, copiers, use of computers for spreadsheet, word processing, database and other applications. Reorders supplies as needed.
- Keep and maintains regular attendance record for students and staff.
- Updating Principal Handbook and the Teacher Resource Book as requested principal.
- Provides information concerning school policies, procedures, actions, activities and schedules as appropriate; maintains school calendar.
- Keep organized desk and office space in the office daily and maintain a welcoming environment.
- Prepare and type book orders and other purchase orders as requested (NPIS).
- Makes personal folders for new employees and prepares new employee packets.
- Receives work assignments directions from the Principal and office manager.
- Prepares school-home communications such as: back to school packets, fliers, reminders which may include the scheduling, compiling, typing, paste-up, printing and distribution. Responsible for electronic communication, such as Option C alerts (school closings, delays, etc.,)
- Record and Prepare End-of-Year Attendance forms for Diocese and Reading School District.
- Update Birthday Bulletin Board in School Hallway – Monthly
- Translate documents and serve as interpreter as necessary.
- Any other duties assigned by the principal, office manager and Pastor.
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Two year demonstrated and successful experience as a secretary, administrative assistant or office clerk, preferably in a school setting Experience in dealing with children and the public.
- Bilingual preferred, should have the ability to read, write, and speak English and Spanish fluently.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and work efficiently with frequent disruptions.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Must be courteous, tactful and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to interact with school-aged children in a warm, confident manner and develop and maintain productive working relationships with school staff and parents or guardians.
- Ability to work efficiently and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
with school personnel, administrators, students, parents and the general public.
- Computer proficiency required (Microsoft, spreadsheets and database management); along with the ability to skillfully operate office equipment.
- Must have knowledge of school and diocesan policies in order to process information and follow correct procedures.
- Must exhibit a high degree of integrity, loyalty, and dependability and have a strong work ethics.
- Must always demonstrate a positive and professional attitude (including professional attire).
- Must maintain good moral standing and have a strong commitment to the mission of Catholic Education.
- Current valid driver’s license.
- Normal school office environment:
- Regular Work schedule: August – June, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm with 1/2-hour unpaid lunch. (37.5)
- Summer Work Schedule ( July): Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (20 hours per week).
- As an hourly employee you are required to punch in and out (including lunch) every day.
- May be required to work outside of normal work hours to attend necessary meetings and events. Any and all deviations from the regular or summer work schedules must be pre-approved by Principal and Pastor