Job Title: Director of Catechesis, Adult and Youth Formation
Reporting Functions: Reports to the Executive Director for Evangelization and Formation
Job Function: The Director is responsible for administering and supervising the Office of Adult Catechesis and Evangelization. The Office of Adult Catechesis and Evangelization will implement and administer the processes and programs for faith formation and catechesis for adults within the Diocese of Allentown.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists parishes and pastoral ministers with the spread of the Gospel, through the essential component of parish ministries, programs, gatherings, and adult faith formation efforts.
- Develops, coordinates, and executes strategic initiatives to foster the new a renewal in evangelization in the Catholic parishes of the Diocese of Allentown.
- Provides formation and development opportunities for Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education in parishes. Provides formation and spiritual enrichment opportunities for parish catechists.
- Oversees the Diocesan Marriage Preparation program (English/Spanish) to ensure its efficient and smooth operation. Reviews content annually to ensure it continues to be a dynamic and focused experience that gives provides the engaged couples an opportunity to understand the Sacrament better; to evaluate and deepen their readiness to lived married life, and to gain insight into themselves as a couple and as individuals through a program that integrates Sacramental Theology, Catholic Moral Theology, and a balanced Theology of the Body and promotion of Natural Family Planning.
- Evaluates adult faith formation, evangelization, and catechetical programs and curriculum. Identify and develop resources as needed.
- Assists in the evaluation and determination of lay speaker request forms.
- Collaborates with other diocesan offices within and outside the Secretariat, parishes and other groups in the community, as appropriate to deliver jointly sponsored programming.
- Provides opportunities for transformation and spiritual growth through planning/organizing days of prayer, retreats, conferences, etc.
- Builds and maintains relationships with parish priests, pastoral leadership, lay associations and diocesan groups affiliated with the ministries of this office.
- Provides in-service training, resource materials and support for parish-based programs, program teams and other appropriate groups.
- Maintains active involvement with persons and organizations both regionally and nationally. Keeps abreast of Church documents and programming resources.
- Works with the Director of Mission Advancement to utilize contemporary means of communication including social media, the office page on the diocesan website, The A.D. Times, etc. to educate, catechize and foster the new evangelization.
- Responsible for the fiscal management of the office; this includes development of a budget and proper maintenance of fiscal operations.
- Responsible for efficient and organized management of the office and its hard and soft files.
- Serves as liaison to the Catechetical Institute and coordinate the catechist training program with the University of Steubenville.
- Serves as liaison for the Commission for Women and Commission for Men.
- Serves as liaison with diocesan commissions as appointed or assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Theology or related field (Philosophy or Education) preferred; prior supervisory and administrative experience; parish and/or diocesan experience desired.
- A practicing Catholic, faithful to all that the Catholic Church holds to be true. Lifestyle is in conformity with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Proven experience in evangelization including in the area of adult formation.
- Optimistic, enthusiastic, and positive team-oriented professional.
- Should be a self-starter with strong follow-through skills and a results orientation.
- Ability to accomplish projects on time and within budget.
- A team player with demonstrated ability to take calculated risks, evaluate results and adjust as necessary.
- Should possess a high level of energy and creativity with the ability to establish trust and work collaboratively with internal and external departments of the Diocese.
- Ability to use technology relative to performing the duties of the office. Knowledge of and familiarity with Diocesan structure is recommended.
- Ability to maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate Christian virtue and a willingness to work within an atmosphere of Christian principles.
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Working Hours – 35 Hours - Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May be required to occasionally work more than normal work hours, including various evening and weekend responsibilities when connected with programming and events.
Pay: $45,000 to $55,000 per year
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Diocese of Allentown
Office of Human Resources
P.O. Box F
Allentown, PA 18105-1538