Full Time Diocesan and Parish Bookkeeper
Reporting Functions: Reports to the Diocesan Controller and Parish Pastor, no reports.
Job Function: This position is a combined position located at both the Diocesan office and at a Parish. In concert with the strategic direction of the Diocese, the Full Time Diocesan and Parish Bookkeeper performs accounting functions in the Diocesan Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable departments and bookkeeping responsibilities in the Parish office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Office activities:
- Opening and sorting mail.
- Daily deposits.
- Prepare and distribute monthly billing invoices, and statements.
- Process payables invoices.
- Assist in the printing and distributing of disbursement checks.
- Research inquiries regarding paid and unpaid invoices.
- Support other accounting reconciliations and reports as needed.
Parish Bookkeeping activities:
- Reconcile bank statements, prepare and process bi-weekly payroll, payment of invoices and record all financial information into accounting system for parish and cemetery.
- Ensure collection counting, deposits, accounting and contributions remain balanced and that the processes continue to be followed.
- Prepare budget and financial reports for the parish and cemetery and present to Pastor and Parish Finance Committee.
- Work with Diocese of Allentown to ensure procedures, reporting, and policies are within Diocesan guidelines.
- Filing, copying, scanning, and organizing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Educational Requirements: Minimum of Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree preferred; or equivalent combination of education plus 3-5 years professional level experience in payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, or business administration fields.
- Three (3) years relevant experience.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft applications – Excel, Word, Outlook, and managing electronic files and folders.
- Experience using accounting software.
- Satisfactory level of analytical, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to identify and implement process changes resulting in increased productivity and/or quality.
- Possess the ability to follow instructions, work independently, demonstrate flexibility and maintain confidentiality regarding Diocesan and Parish activity.
Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, and hear both in person and by telephone; frequent use of equipment that includes repetitive motions and computer eye fatigue. Occasionally required to reach and lift with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
Normal office environment.
- May be required to attend meetings or perform duties at other locations occasionally.
- Normal church office environment; full time, 35 hours per week.
- May be required to work in excess of normal work hours to attend meetings or due to non-routine or emergency situations that may arise.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Diocese of Allentown
Office of Human Resources
P.O. Box F
Allentown, PA 18105-1538