Rules and Regulations
*These rules apply to both boys & girls, high school & grade school basketball events.
Each district is to designate one Adult Commissioner for each league.
Each District shall submit grade school rosters to OYYAM by December 1st.
High School and biddy development rosters are due January 1st.
All rosters are frozen on December 15th for grade school teams and January 15th for high school and biddy development teams.
NOTE: Districts failing to comply with Rule C (pertaining to tournament playoffs; see complete handbook) are eliminated from consideration for Diocesan playoffs.
D. Game Rules
According to current National Federation Rules (PIAA), unless otherwise modified here.
Throughout the basketball season, referees are only permitted to officiate two games/per day across the Diocese.
E. Playing Time
The following rule is intended to ensure that all participants, regardless of their skill level, are given the opportunity to play in every game:
- Only players that meet all eligibility requirements both team-specific (such as required attendance at practices) and diocesan, may be allowed to play in any game.
- Coaches are encouraged to give every player an opportunity to participate in all games in some capacity. Though not mandated, when a participant signs up for the CYO program they expect, and have the right, to play in all games. Coaches must encourage and instruct all the young athletes if they are to have a rewarding experience in sports.
- Any player in uniform for a game must be given an opportunity to play at least half of any game.
- Playing time does not need to be consecutive within a game, but should total to equal half of the time allotted for each game.
- District rules apply to playing time at the Biddy level.
- If no playing time rules exist at the District level, then equal playing time should be distributed to all players.
- Substitutions should be made at regular intervals.
- Infractions of the playing time policy will result in a warning for the 1st offense:A 2nd verifiable offense of the playing time policy in the same season (including playoffs) will result in a forfeit of the match for the team, two-match suspension of the coach, and the coach will need to meet with the District Commissioner and a diocesan CYO Administrative Official before coaching in the subsequent year.
- If witnessed by a designated representative of CYO, a warning will consist of a verbal address to the coach following the contest in question.
- If the 1st offense is not witnessed by a designated representative of CYO, an investigation will be conducted. If it is found to be a valid offense, a warning will consist of a verbal address to the coach via a phone call. After the coach has received the warning, any subsequent verifiable offense of the playing time policy will result in a forfeit of the match and suspension of the coach.
- Any coach suspended from coaching a team is not eligible to be present as a fan for that CYO event.
F. Diocesan Playoffs
First or second full weekend in March to be determined annually by the State CYO Basketball Tournament Dates.
Timekeepers and scorekeepers for the Diocesan Playoffs need to be at least 16 years old.
Three officials will be used at all Diocesan Playoff games.
G. Eligibility (See Eligibility Rules).
Eligibility for JV basketball is grades 5 and 6. Eligibility for Varsity basketball is grades 6 through 8. Any player who is in 6th grade and is listed on both JV and Varsity rosters, and is a starter for the JV team, will not be allowed to start for the Varsity team. If that said player is a Varsity starter then they shall only play Varsity sports. Eligibility for Biddy basketball is grades 1 through 4.
Practice may not begin before October 20. All practices, games, etc. must end the second weekend in March (with the exception of those advancing into State playoffs.)
I. Modification-Bench Rule for Use at State Tournaments Only
The old PIAA "Seat Belt" bench rule will be in effect at all CYO State Tournaments. Coaches are expected to coach the game while being seated on the bench at all times. The only exception is for time outs.
Under no circumstances may a school administrator, coach, student athlete, or spectator visually record (regardless of the medium) a contest that does not involve their CYO team. In particular, filming or videotaping for scouting purposes in any season by any party is strictly prohibited.
The purpose of such a policy is not only for the protection of our student athletes, but also to uphold a rightly ordered perspective on competition. As members of a Catholic organization, we should seek to maximize our knowledge and ability through exceptional preparation and real-time adaptation.
Basketball Sportsmanship Rule
IN any game with a 20 or more point lead, NO FULL OR HALF COURT PRESS BY EITHER TEAM is permitted. Any team with a 20 or more point lead must take out AT LEAST 2 STARTERS from the game. Any opposing coach, who feels an honest attempt was NOT made to follow the above, should notify the District Commissioner within 48 hours and address the complaint in writing to the District Executive Board
IN any game with a 30 or more point lead, NO FULL OR HALF COURT PRESS BY EITHER TEAM is permitted. Any team with a 30 or more point lead must take out AT LEAST 2 STARTERS from the game. Any opposing coach, who feels an honest attempt was NOT made to follow the above, should notify the District Commissioner within 48 hours and address the complaint in writing to the District Executive Board.
As a result:
1. A hearing will be held with both coaches and the District Board to determine if the complaint is justified and the Pastor will be notified by mail.
2. With a second justifiable complaint, the coach is no longer part of the CYO Program as this is a blatant abuse of the "ideals" and "goals" of the Coaches' Training Program of the Diocese of Allentown.