The Diocese of Allentown is seeking a part-time (<20 hours per week) Clergy Benefits Specialist/Benefits Assistant. This is a combined position working for the Office of Priest Personnel maintaining and processing clergy benefits, as well as administering and coordinating all employee information relating to the Lay Employees’ Pension Plan along with some other support functions for the Human Resources Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain personnel files for all Diocesan clergy.
- Administer all aspects of Clergy health, dental, vision and prescription insurance.
- Assist clergy with insurance questions and related matters, including address changes, identification cards, claims assistance, Medicare matters, etc.
- Maintain and process all approved claims for clergy medical expenses.
- Assist with health insurance meetings and presentations.
- Maintain and process deceased clergy life insurance policies.
- Maintain Seminarian files, including tuition reimbursement.
- Process approved retired clergy payments/reimbursements for workshop fees, premiums, etc.
- Assist the Clergy Health Care Program Coordinator with projects, as required.
Lay Employee Benefits
- Administer and maintain Lay Employees’ Pension Plan including updates, information changes, beneficiary forms, etc.
- Prepare and distribute monthly contribution reports to locations; follow-up as needed.
- Maintain pension plan participant data, including retired, deceased, rehired, leave of absence, term-vested, term not-vested, etc. .
- Track employees eligible for participation, retirement and early retirement
- Assist with annual pension statement mailing.
- Process pension death claims, both active and retirees
- Respond to telephone and written inquires in a timely manner.
- Process pension group life insurance and AD&D monthly billing statements
- Serves as Diocesan administrative payroll backup
- Assist the Manager of Payroll and Employee Benefits with projects, as required.
- Problem solving—identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Interpersonal Skills—maintains confidentiality and is able to effectively work with clergy and employees at all levels
- Communication—presents numerical data effectively, is able to read and interpret written information and demonstrates good presentation skills.
- Quality control—demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—adapts to changes and interruptions, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Technical – proficiency with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint; Excel and the ability to perform mail merge operations are required
Education and/or Experience:
- 4-10 years of experience processing pension and employee benefits required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but consideration will be given to applicants with the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May occasionally be required to work outside of normal workweek or in addition to normal work hours due to special projects, meetings or events.
Application materials will be reviewed promptly, as submitted, and will continue until the position is filled. For immediate consideration applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Diocese of Allentown
Attn: Human Resource Office (CBS/BA)
P.O. Box F
Allentown, PA 18105-1538
The Diocese of Allentown comprises five counties in Pennsylvania, including Lehigh, Berks, Carbon, Northampton and Schuylkill. Catholic population is 252,088. Please visit our homepage.